Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Good thing I bought a rain coat last week

Apparently I wasn't listening when they told me it rains a lot in California in the winter. Or I just pretended not to hear because I really, really, didn't like Washington DC and wanted to live, oh, anywhere but there.

In any case, it has been raining for days and days and DAYS here. Real, dismal, grey sky all day kind of rain. Sandbags all around the doors into work so the building doesn't flood and wreck the new carpet kind of rain. Might as well not bother blow-drying my hair kind of rain. Even with my shiny new (expensive) raincoat (Yay Marmot!), I came into work looking a lot like a very wet, unhappy rat today. I think I might have to start wrapping myself in plastic wrap from head-to-toe before leaving the house.

Actually, I feel sort of tricked here. I mean, everyone told me when I moved here last year that winter in California is rainy, rainy, rainy. And then last winter, it rained maybe 10 times from December through February. And I was like, riiiiiight, rainy, all the while thinking that Californians have become soft on this whole "weather" thing. And now, this. This is SO not what I signed up for.

The good news is, with all this rain, I suddenly feel justified in buying a really cute pair of Wellies. I have secretly wanted a pair of Wellies for years and years. I am dying for a navy blue pair with green whales on them. Kind of like these. How very J-Crew of me, right? (Other than the essential truth that I'm not willing to spend 60-100 dollars on a pair of rain boots. 100 dollars! For that kind of money, I can fly to someplace where they don't have "weather." LA, for example. Or Vegas.)

God, when was the last time I owned rain boots? Oh, that's right, NEVER. Moon-boot style snow boots, on the other hand . . . Anyone have a suggestion on where to get super-cute rain boots for, like, 10 bucks? If navy blue with green whales are not available, rainbows, polka dots, and stripes would also be acceptable.

No comments: