Saturday, January 5, 2008

From the Archives -- Great Falls, MD

Nothing especially new and exciting to post today, but I'm trying to keep up the posting streak I've been on lately, so here's a photo from the archives. I took this picture at Great Falls, which is on the border between Maryland and Virginia, right outside Washington, DC, sometime in the spring of 2006. Great Falls was one of my favorite places to hike when I lived there -- How could I resist that gorgeous aquamarine river? And it was only maybe 20 minutes from where I lived. The kayakers loved the river, too. Some days I would take a break from hiking and sit up above the water to watch the whitewater kayakers. They'd come shooting down the rapids, paddles whirring, rocketing back and forth across the frothy water. Sometimes they'd flip upside down and I'd hold my breath until they righted themselves again. I was never quite sure if they flipped because of the rapids or if they did it on purpose, for the sheer thrill of it. There aren't a lot of things I miss about Washington, but Great Falls definitely makes the list.

No comments: