Saturday, January 17, 2009

Grace in Small Things


So I stumbled across this a few days ago and it's hit home for me. I don't normally go in for all that Oprah-esque jibber jabber, but something about just taking time to be grateful feels right to me at the moment. The past couple of weeks, I've been feeling restless and gloomy. I've let myself get caught up in being anxious about things that all the anxiety in the world isn't going to fix. (When does it ever, really?) I think it's probably just the winter blues. Somehow they still come, even when you live someplace where the sun actually DOES shine. But anyway, I think that reminding myself of the grace in small things in my life is just what the doctor ordered. So, I'm going to try to do this every day for at least the next few weeks. We'll see beyond that. Here are today's bits of grace:

1. Coming home smelling of the sea.

2. Finding my first heart-shaped rock in ages.

3. Seals as wildlife, just loungin' around on the beach.

4. Sitting on a bluff above the ocean, no one else in sight, a good book in my lap.

5. Tank top weather in January.

6. Soft periwinkle yarn and the time and skill to knit it up into something beautiful.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I was listening to Yolanda King on NPR on Saturday (MLK's daughter) and she was talking about meditation and positive thinking. And saying, "God! I'm so stressed!" is sure to make you even more so. Awesome you for trying to turn it around...and passing it on!