Thursday, May 15, 2008

99 in the Shade

It was 100+ degrees here today, for the second day in a row. As a result, I've had Bon Jovi stuck in my head all day -- 99 in the Shade. (OK, Internet, stop laughing. What did YOU listen to when you were 13 years old?!? Yeah, that's what I thought.)

But, really, 100 degrees in Northern California? I've only lived here a little more than a year, but I'm pretty sure this is NOT normal. The heat even caused us to lose power at my office for a good chunk of the day. The building has a back-up generator, since so much of what we do is dependent on computers (like, uh, our entire sales department of 200+ people). Unfortunately, said generator does not power the HVAC unit. So, we had power but no A/C. Did I mention the 100 degrees part of today? Yeah -- the upstairs sales floor and hallway smelled like a locker room and one of the guys down in operations was sent around as water-bearer this afternoon, bringing bottled water to everyone so they didn't die of dehydration. Fun!

As of right now, 9:15 pm, it is still 86 degrees outside. It's so hot in my living room that my thermostat says 03. As in "The temperature in here is so high that I can't even TELL you what the temperature is." Violet is laying in the bathtub, panting, and even tolerated me dousing her with cold water earlier. I am, alas, still working, and feeling pretty damn sticky and swelterish myself. So, how many coconut popsicles do you think a girl can eat in one night without making herself violently ill?

No comments: