Saturday, February 24, 2007

What I've Been Reading this week

This has been another pretty lousy couple weeks for reading -- I've been swamped at work, and actually having to bring work home (which I try to avoid). Plus, I've started to make friends here, so I've actually gone out and done stuff more. Not a bad reason to read a little less.

In any case, I finished that Sylvia Plath biography and I don't know what to say about it. I can't say I disliked it, but I still think that the author was seriously obsessed with Plath's sex life. I also feel like the book was far too much just a chronological list of every poem Plath every wrote and every date she ever went on. It also didn't feel very balanced -- it didn't have many quotes from other people or even from Plath herself, because the author didn't want to have to get approval from the Plath estate. It felt, I think, a little too soft. I dunno. I don't read many biographies.

The rest of the last couple weeks, I've really been just dabbling --reading a little bit of this book of poetry (Tony Hoagland, Mark Doty), a little bit of that guidebook to the Bay area, dipping into Plath's unabridged journals. Right now, I'm about 2/3 of the way through David Kamp's The United States of Arugula. Hopefully I'll have more to write about my reading next week.

No comments: